Title: Line Cook
Reports To: Sous Chef
As an Aparium Hotel Group associate your job is to remember. Remember all the small things at all times for each guest. Think creatively and instinctively responding in real time to requests and dealing with challenges inherent to your position with modesty and humility. Generate amazing ideas to improve and enhance hotel operations and the guest experience and implement those ideas because you are an empowered team member.
Investigate your own practice of hospitality, improving, refining and sharing your ideas with others. Take pride in being a local expert for food, shopping, entertainment, travel and culture and act as an ambassador for our city.
You will be paid competitively with opportunities for advancement. Your success will be measured through favorable reviews and your ability to meet stated objectives. You’ll have the ability to create your own career path and move into other areas of interest as your goals change.
- Prepare food items according to guest orders of consistent quality and in a timely manner
- Responsible for the breakfast buffet and ala carte breakfast preparation
- Follow recipe cards, as well as production, portion, and presentation standards
- Prepare food and set-up station for breakfast, lunch, dinner and/or event service
- Start food items that are prepared ahead of time, making sure not to prepare beyond estimate needs
- Cut and prepare for use various varieties of meat, fish and poultry
- Inspect all meat, seafood, and poultry according to established specifications and hotel standards and perform yield testing.
- Operate, maintain and properly clean kitchen equipment
- Date food containers and rotate as per policies, making sure that all perishables are kept at proper temperatures
- Check pars for shift use, of-stock items or possible shortages
- Return all food items not used to designated storage areas
- Assist in setting up plans and actions to correct any food cost problems
- Control food waste, loss and usage per policies
- Ensure cleanliness and organization of the kitchen
- Properly receive and store food and other deliveries when needed
- Constantly recommend service and product improvement to better the operation
- Attend all required meetings
- Promote teamwork and foster a harmonious working climate
- Able to work alone or without direct supervision
- Properly handle and report associate and guest accidents
- Respond properly in hotel emergencies or safety situation
- Perform other tasks or projects as assigned by hotel management and associates
- Must be able to obtain any required food handing or sanitation certifications required by local or state agencies
- Empowered and empowers associates to intuitively serve each guest, associate, visitor or client
- Follows their instinct and uses her/his best judgment to create experiences for guests that are thoughtful and genuine
- Provides undivided attention to each guest
- Detail orientated
- Demonstrates high degree of drive and determination
- Works cooperatively with other people in order to achieve a common goal
- Effectively utilize Point-of-Sale system
- Maintain a Certified Food Manager designation and adhere to all Health Department requirements APARIUM.COM
- Always under-promise and over-deliver
- Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, associates may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel.
- All other responsibilities assigned by management
- Good reading, writing and oral proficiency in the English language
- High school education, cooking school or culinary institute education or equivalent experience
- Minimum two years culinary or related work experience. Intermediate culinary knowledge is expected for this position
- Outstanding verbal and multi-tasking skills
- Advanced culinary knowledge
- ADAPTIVE: shows flexible thinking and embraces new technologies, processes, environments
- PROACTIVE: responsible and collaborative and driven to make decisions with minimal supervision
- AWARE: think ahead, anticipate. Under promise and over deliver
- REAL: validate your guest and their needs, show your guest you’ve noticed them, make eye contact, authentic, not scripted
- INTUITIVE: trust your instincts to do what you feel to be true even without conscious reasoning
- UNDERSTANDING: recognize everyone in the hotel is a guest. Put their needs first. If you need to apologize, be sincere
- MASTERFUL: be an expert, now your culture, show confidence
- Standard restaurant setting
- Standard kitchen setting
- Standard Banquet setting
- Standard Room Service setting
- Professional, passionate and positive work environment
- Navigating wet tile floor and steps
- Continuous standing and walking
- Carts: 250 lbs. (12-20 lbs. of push/pull force required)
- Hot box: 200 lbs.
- Banquet Tables
- Banquet Chairs
- Hot temperatures, water, steam, and smoke
- Trays weigh 50lbs. ARIUM.COM
- Standing and walking is continuous for 4-5 hours at a time
- Lifting and carrying 25 lb. tray, crate or box is occasional
- Negotiating varied floor surfaces is continuous
- Carrying over shoulder is occasional
- Hand and elbow movements
- Pushing Room Service cart continuous
- Lifting and carry hot boxes continuous
- Rolling and/or carry Banquet tables continuous
- Carrying stackable banquet chairs by loading the cart continuous
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures like freezers (-10 degrees F) and kitchens (+110 degrees F), possible for one hour or more.
- Ability to physically handle knives, pots, mirrors, or other display items as well as grasp, lift and carry same from shelves and otherwise transport up to 50 pounds to every area of the kitchen.
- Ability to perform cutting skills on work surfaces, topped with cutting boards, 3 to 4 feet in height (banquet kitchen, prep kitchen, bake shop, etc.). Proper usage and handling of various kitchen machinery to include slickers, buffalo chopper, grinders, mixers, and other kitchen related equipment.
- There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and lift up to 50 lbs. on a regular and continuing basis; must be able to stretch to fulfill cleaning/inspection tasks.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Good sight and balance needed to check quality and portions of food
- Good speech and hearing to interact with guests
The Iron Horse Hotel is an equal opportunity employer. If you would like to be part of our team, please submit your resume and application to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line of the email.